Friday, February 27, 2009

Fried Apples

4 firm apples
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Cinnamon to taste (optional)

Wash the apples well with cold water. Remove the cores of the apples with an apple corer. Slice the apples into 1/2-inch rings. Put the water and butter into a large skillet. Warm over medium heat until the butter melts. Add the apple slices and cook for 10 minutes turning them once or twice while they cook. Sprinkle with brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon (if desired). Turn the apples to mix. Cover the skillet and remove from the heat. Let sit for 10 minutes, and serve.

***Note: These are great as a side dish for dinner or lunch. I have even eaten these by the bowl for breakfast with some toast or waffles. The first time I tried this recipe I cut the apples in rings. I didn't like them rings because they seemed to thin for my liking, so instead I have been cutting them in wedges.

I have used both margarine and real butter. Of course the butter is tastier but the margarine is healthier.

This recipe is a conglomeration of several that I put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment